Share the Road
Drivers Stay Alert! Along the H/Benning corridor, streetcars operate in the same travel lanes as other vehicles — in the left lane on Benning Road and in the right lane on H Street. Motorists should use caution while sharing the road with streetcars, pedestrians, cyclists and other vehicles.
- Do not double-park on the tracks. Streetcars cannot go around double-parked vehicles
- Park your entire vehicle, including side mirrors, within the solid white line.
- Follow the streetcar at a safe distance and be prepared to stop.
- Streetcars are not able to stop as quickly as cars — slow down and use turn signals before making a left or right turn.
- Check for an approaching streetcar before opening your vehicle doors.
- Do not make a turn from the adjacent lane or center lane in front of the streetcar
- U-turns are not allowed on the Hopscotch Bridge.
- Yield to pedestrians in the crosswalk.
Flashing Yellow Signal at Starburst
In February 2015, the District Department of Transportation (DDOT) launched the first left-turn flashing yellow arrow in the District at the Starburst – the five-point intersection of H Street NE, Bladensburg Avenue NE, Benning Road NE, 15th Street NE and Maryland Avenue NE. The signal flashes a yellow arrow when vehicles are permitted to turn left from H Street NE onto Bladensburg Road NE and now replaces the traditional green signal at the intersection used to indicate the need for left-turning vehicles to yield to oncoming traffic and pedestrians.
The flashing signal enhances the safety and efficiency of the busy intersection and allows for safer operations of motorists and the DC Streetcar through the intersection.
The signal operates as follows:
All motorists should use caution when traveling through the intersection and follow all restrictions.