Share the Road
Streetcars operate in the same travel lanes as other vehicles. Have you noticed that along Benning Road the streetcar tracks are in the left lane and along H Street the tracks are in the right lane? Motorists, use caution as you share the road with streetcars, pedestrians and other vehicles.
- Do not double-park on the tracks. Streetcars cannot go around double-parked vehicles
- Park your entire vehicle, including side mirrors, within the solid white line.
- Follow the streetcar at a safe distance and be prepared to stop.
- Streetcars are not able to stop as quickly as cars — slow down and use turn signals before making a left or right turn.
- Check for an approaching streetcar before opening your vehicle doors.
- Do not make a turn from the adjacent lane or center lane in front of the streetcar
- U-turns are not allowed on the Hopscotch Bridge.
- Yield to pedestrians in the crosswalk.