Share the Road
Drivers Stay Alert! Along the H/Benning corridor, streetcars operate in the same travel lanes as other vehicles — in the left lane on Benning Road and in the right lane on H Street. Motorists should use caution while sharing the road with streetcars, pedestrians, cyclists and other vehicles.
- Do not double-park on the tracks. Streetcars cannot go around double-parked vehicles
- Park your entire vehicle, including side mirrors, within the solid white line.
- Follow the streetcar at a safe distance and be prepared to stop.
- Streetcars are not able to stop as quickly as cars — slow down and use turn signals before making a left or right turn.
- Check for an approaching streetcar before opening your vehicle doors.
- Do not make a turn from the adjacent lane or center lane in front of the streetcar
- U-turns are not allowed on the Hopscotch Bridge.
- Yield to pedestrians in the crosswalk.